Monday, June 30, 2014

I review a lot for NetGalley as well as Library Journal and School Library Journal, professionally.I also pick up the occasional book on Book Bub and Book Shout.  The shocker is I also read a lot of hard cover books from the library.(I actually work at the public library as my day job. These compilation posts are just some of my reading that I have written reviews on. They are on varied topics and varied genres and some non-fiction tossed in for fun. All these books can be found on the regular book sites such as Amazon, B&N etc. if I tickle your fancy and you want to find out more.


Air Plants: The Curious World of Tillandsias
Zenaida Sengo

This is a beautiful book! The author covers all aspects of these beautiful plants from what they are to how to grow them, to how to care for them and how to arrange them artfully. The photography is spectacular! The artful arranging and display of the plants is marvelous. I knew nothing about these types of plants and now I want a house full of them. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in these plants. The book is obviously created by people who love these plants.
The book is enchanting even if you never grow any of these exquisite plants.

The City by Dean Koontz
I loved the first few Odd Thomas books and then they got dark, too supernatural in a bad way.I tried to read "Innocence" , one of his latest,  but it felt like a bad script edit of Beauty and the Beast, the TV show. I thought I might try this one but the subject matter didn't really grab me and that would be totally my fault - not Mr. Koontz. This is a human story told as if oral history about the life of a young piano prodigy that is changed by the city he lives in. Pearl ,the supernatural personification of the city cares for her people but ... this was a little odd.The book includes haiku and the background of the music in his world is mesmerizing. I just couldn't get into the story. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment